Figure 1. Cisco 10000 Series Router
The Cisco 10000 Series offers the following features:
• High-performance IP services:
– The Cisco 10000 Series helps service providers deploy revenue-generating services with
consistent platform performance.
– The Cisco 10000 Series is the ideal broadband aggregation edge router for Ethernet and
– The Cisco 10000 Series supports Parallel Express Forwarding (PXF), patented by Cisco.
PXF offers customers the ability to turn on multiple IP services while maintaining line-
rate performance. PXF is software-based; customers can add new service functions without
swapping out hardware. The next-generation Cisco 10000 Series Performance Routing Engine 3
(PRE-3) provides industry-leading, per-subscriber hierarchical quality of service (H-QoS)
for granular bandwidth management that improves the user experience for data, voice, or
– The Cisco 10000 Series supports many critical edge services and provides industry-
leading feature richness with Cisco IOS Software, including H-QoS, MPLS, Multilink Point-
to-Point Protocol (MLPPP), Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP), and Cisco Intelligent
Services Gateway (ISG). Ethernet and ATM aggregation solutions are supported for TR-101 and
TR-59 broadband architectures, making the Cisco 10000 Series Router an ideal transition
platform to entertainment-grade networking.
• Carrier-class high availability:
– With its carrier-class high availability, the Cisco 10000 Series minimizes costly
network outages and maximizes customer satisfaction.
– The Cisco 10000 Series is designed for nonstop performance. Features include: full
hardware redundancy, online insertion and removal (OIR), Cisco Route Processor Redundancy
Plus (RPR+), Cisco Stateful Switchover (SSO), Cisco Nonstop Forwarding (NSF), Nonstop
Routing (NSR), In Service Software Upgrade (ISSU), and Automatic Protection Switching
(APS). Support for MPLS high availability and broadband high availability makes the Cisco
10000 Series a premier carrier-class platform.
• Maximum scalability:
– With an 8-slot chassis that can hold as many as 16 line cards, the Cisco 10000 Series
allows service providers to take full advantage of their current investments by enabling
network growth while minimizing network complexity.
• Maximum flexibility:
– The Cisco 10000 Series supports thousands of DS-0, DS-1, and E1 connections in a single
system, helping service providers increase their customer base. For broadband applications,
the Cisco 10000 Series supports up to 61,500 subscribers in a single system. Because the
Cisco 10000 Series supports Frame Relay, ATM, leased-line, and broadband aggregation in a
single platform, customers can provision multiple types of services to the end user without
having to maintain multiple edge devices.
• IP Next-Generation Network (NGN) subscriber management:
– The Cisco ISG software feature set is a next-generation policy and subscriber management
solution that delivers dynamic session awareness. ISG supports IP, Ethernet, ATM, MPLS, and
VPN architectures, whether the business model is for retail, wholesale, or business
services. ISG helps enable zero-touch provisioning, and provides the per-flow granularity
and dynamic control required for triple-play services. It is standards-based for
multivendor deployments. With RADIUS Change of Authorization (RFC 3576), subscriber
profiles can be changed dynamically based on user self-management (through a Web portal) or
through an operations support system (OSS) process. It can act as a policy server imbedded
in the network, or interact with centralized policy management systems.
The Cisco ® 10000 Series Router is the industry-leading edge router for service providers
that require subscriber awareness for delivering triple-play (data, voice, and video),
broadband, and wholesale access while migrating from ATM to Gigabit Ethernet. The Cisco
10000 Series is unique in that it offers a comprehensive, single solution for business
services, Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS), and broadband aggregation. It is built to
be carrier-class with Cisco IOS ® Software and hardware features. Cisco used its experience
working with the world's largest service providers to optimize the Cisco 10000 Series for
scalable, high-performance IP and MPLS services with five-nines (99.999) reliability